Preptober// My Project For NaNoWriMo

by - 9:00 AM



October is here, which means Preptober is in full swing! I'm so excited, as this is the first year I have EVER participated in NaNoWriMo.

Today, I thought I would talk about what I'm doing for NaNo (My W.I.P, my plan to reach 50,000 words, and more!)

I'm not going into too much detail about my novel, but for November, I will be on hiatus so I can focus on writing my novel. I wish I was the super blogger who could churn out posts every week and still get that 50,000 words, but sadly I am not.

I can't go into too much about my W.I.P because it is book two of my trilogy. Rise has been completed and I want to work on book two, Fall. (Rise and Fall are working titles and not the official titles. Official titles will be revealed closer to publication.)

So, to avoid spoilers, I can't say much about Fall. HOWEVER, I can say I'm breaking my own heart with this book, so there is that.

I know I haven't revealed much about Rise, either, but I will be introducing my characters in a post very, very soon.

What I can tell you is this trilogy is dystopian, but breaking the boundaries of traditional dystopian and bringing in contemporary, sci-fi vibes. Yes, there's romance, but it doesn't control the entire, freaking plot. There's hurt, and heartbreak, and death, and friendships, and family, and an evil president bent on ruling the world, one nation at a time. There's a conflicted heir to the country and a sassy henchman. (Don't tell him I called him a henchman, he'll be offended.)

I'm taking traditional dystopian and kicking it in the rear end because I've seen too many fail to be about the actual government problems built up in the world and become all about romance.

I'm trying to make it as realistic as possible. So I've based it in current times instead of a future date, like most dystopian. (ALSO SIDENOTE, Just because it's based in current times does not mean I'm basing it on current people in power, or anybody who's currently president or ruler of any one nation. This idea came to me when I was fifteen, and I'm 20 now, so it's a story I've created for five years. I've seen so many people leave reviews of dystopian novels, comparing it to current times and I just want people to enjoy the story for what it is: A STORY.) #rantover

Now that we have that out of the way, you may curious about what I've done for Preptober.

Well, I've also been working on finishing Rise, so Preptober has consisted of me really just outlining book two. I used to be hardcore write from the seat of my pants type, but I've converted over to outlining and planning because it's fun and it's organized. I'm an organized person in everything else in my life, so it makes sense. (Abbie's videos are amazing if you want to look into outlining.)

Outlining actually doesn't take me a whole month, so I've just been adding to the outline here and there while I write Rise and now my focus can solely be on the outline. Because it's a sequel, I already know my characters. I know where I need to continue from, and that's AMAZING.

If not, I do suggest creating an outline for your characters first, but I'll link some videos here to help you figure out a method for that.

So, how will I reach 50,000 words by the end of November when I'm working a full-time job and am away from the computer for most of the day? (Well for one, full-time at my job is 30 hours instead of 40, so that helps.)

I will be using the Pomodoro Technique. I will write for twenty-five minutes, take a five-minute break, and repeat. My daily goal is to get down 1,667 words, which shouldn't be too difficult. I'm going to attempt to write twice a day, so before I leave for work and after I come home. If I can do this every day, I'll hit 50,000, which should bring me to having most of my novel complete. (My novels are about 70,000+ words.)

I guess that's it for now. I was going to do a post for Halloween, but seeing as I need to focus on my outline, this is going to be my last post for this month. Starting today, I will be on hiatus from blogging. I'll be back in December to give y'all a recap of how it went, and if I won NaNo. Because this is the first time I've done this, I'm not too concerned about winning NaNo. I'm happy to participate.

Are you participating in NaNo?
Do you have a current W.I.P?
Tell me all about it in the
comments!

keep chasing those dragonflies!
~Brooke <3



You May Also Like

14 comments

  1. AGGHHHHHH I can't wait to read this story boo I NEED IT OKAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOOOOOOH i'm excited for this!!! Can't wait to read it!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooof, lovely lovely lovely!!! Yeee!!

    Hello there - I'm not quite sure if I've stopped by before, so I'll introduce myself. I'm Lily cat and I'm obsessed with your blog and your book idea and GOOD LUCK WITH NANO!!

    This is my first, too. :D

    Anywho, you enjoy your hiatus/writing! ;)

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, welcome!! Aww, you're so kind! <3 <3 <3 GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO! <3

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an awesome book. Good luck on NaNo!
    I'm not doing NaNo this year. I hope to at some point. I do have a WIP and it is sitting in the corner getting dusty... Not a good thing.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yeah I understand. I know I might have bit off more than I can chew with doing NaNo, but I wanted to try it out. We'll see how it goes. xD

      Only you know when it's time to set a WIP aside and when it's time to get back to it. <3 <3 YOU'VE GOT THIS!

      Delete
  5. EXCITING, Brooke!!
    And congratulations on doing your first NaNo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely intrigued!
    Best of luck with Nano!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been on a dystopian kick recently, so I'm excited to hear more about yours! Best wishes with all your writing. Go forth and win NaNo!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wooahh, looks wuper amazing!! Good luck with your first NaNo! Make sure to get extra words in on the days you feel good, that way you don't have to stress over staying on track if you have a down day. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited you have a project! I'm not doing NaNo this year, but I'm rooting on the rest of you. And I like that writing technique with the breaks. You should do a post on how THAT works for you and what it looks like once done in real life.

    MB: keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB: thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY! YOU'RE TRYING NANO! Good luck!
    Can't wait to hear more about your story!!!

    *runs off to find you on the NaNoWriMo site*

    ReplyDelete