Starting A New System For My Blog

by - 7:00 AM



hello, frens. I'm hopping on today to tell you about some changes that are going to be taking place around here and what to expect from :: words in her soul :: in the coming weeks. 

I used to run a different blog. It feels like a lifetime ago. There was a pen name and lots of posts all over the place and I honestly have moved that blog to private now, so I'm not going to share too much about it. 

But I was looking back on that blog. The energy from that blog was radiant and vibrant and I realized I missed that about myself. A writer who didn't know she'd be published, and just had a love of story. 

As I crept up closer to the concept of publishing, I was conflicted with options. Continue with that pen name? Create a new pen name? Then I read Abbie Emmons' 100 Days of Sunlight and I was inspired to use my real name. (Or part of it, anyway haha. That's right, you don't know my actual, actual name peeps.) 

I started a new blog, Chasing Dragonflies and jumped in with writing posts, then deleting posts, struggling to figure out how to rebrand and restart my blogging career on an entirely different home base.

And... it didn't feel like home anymore. 

Even this blog has yet to really feel like home. 

But my point is... I want to be a better blogger. I used to be a really good blogger. I drew people here with light and charisma and confidence. 

However... lately... I've been raw. I'm not entirely happy lately. I'm not a confident person in most cases. And even though we live in a culture telling us to be raw and open and vulnerable... no one really wants to read things that bring them down all the time. 

Truth is the beginning of 2020 was hard for me, unrelated entirely to Corona. I had friends backstab and betray me, including someone who is on this very blogosphere. So it's very hard sometimes to really just... see that person being mention online, on blogs or on Instagram. 

I wish them no ill will, but healing has not come fast from all of that. And having mutual friends has not helped matters either. It's probably caused me to be distant from some people, more than I actually intend to be. 

So blogging is sometimes very hard because of all of that. 

But, when I looked back at that old blog (which is private for my eyes only) I felt inspired to try again. To REALLY try again with getting this blog on track. And to do that, I've decided to implement a couple of new changes. 

 Step #1: Finding My Four Pillars Of Blogging Content

Do y'all remember when Abbie blogged a lot? She talked about making your blog the best blog among other things. Of course, she still crafts stunning posts and videos so definitely go check her out if you haven't already. 



So I decided I needed to find what my four pillars of content could be. I needed to be more structured and blog what I love, but also blog in a professional and consistent manner. I'm not all about gaining a bunch of followers, but I'd like to provide quality content for the audience I do have, for the friends who have been loyal and stayed by to read my posts. 

Another inspiration to this is my best friend, Faith, who writes stunning posts and also has her own four pillars of content. (Go follow her if you don't, she's a blogging genius. I may have also helped design her blog look *coughs*) 

So what are my four pillars of content?

- Writing updates
- Writing how-to's and tips
- Short story/poetry (or if I didn't write anything good for that week, I'll probably do a bookish post of sorts concerning a book I'm reading or have read.)
- Life lessons or updates (a brain dump basically.)

These are four things I love to talk about. I've been very quiet about my writing lately. To be entirely honest... my WIPs have been everywhere. I've had so many new ideas that burn out after a week or even a day. And I bounce around feeling inspired sometimes and then not so much the other times. 

It's just the season I'm in with my writing right now. I'm very much a mood writer so it gets hard to write when I'm not passionate about it. 

Step #2: Create A New Schedule

I will still be posting Wednesdays. Wednesday has been my posting day for as long as I can remember. When I tried to post on a different day, my bestie told me it was weird and I agreed. It didn't feel right. It wasn't me. 

My past few posts have been happening in the afternoon, before that it was early morning. I'm still trying to figure out what works best for me. I'll probably stick with mornings because I usually post on Instagram on Wednesday mornings, perfectly timed with my break at work so I can share about my blog posts AND my Instagram posts in my stories. (if you aren't following me on Instagram, you can find me @words.in.her.soul and on Twitter @wordsinhersoul.)

At this time, I'll be posting at 7am, which used to my usual. 

Step #3: Implementing The New Layout

The first Wednesday of the month will be Writing Updates.
The second Wednesday of the month will be Writing How-To's and Tips.
The third Wednesday of the month will be Short Story/Poetry/Bookish Content
The fourth Wednesday of the month will be Life Updates and Brain Dumps.

If there is a fifth Wednesday, I will randomly select which of the four I will do for that time, most likely a book review or recommendation. 

BONUS: Subscribe By Email Is Now With Mailchimp

I'm so excited to say that I set up Mailchimp for new subscribers, as well as moved loyal subscribers to Mailchimp. If you didn't receive this post in your email within two hours of this post going live, then you might want to subscribe again. Mailchimp confirmed everyone moved over successfully, but just in case, I figured I'd better warn you. 

And if there are any problems with the email, feel free to let me know so I can see what's going on and how I can fix it. I'm new to all this stuff. 

Conclusion... 

I'm feeling inspired to implement this new system and hopefully y'all will love it, too. I'm hoping this little spark of blogging desire will become a flame, that I'll be able to keep blogging and not want to leave. 

Thank you to everyone who has kept up with posts and keeps supporting me. 

Stay Amazing!
~ brooke 




You May Also Like

26 comments

  1. I love your new resolve! And I totally get that thing about being raw...I struggled a lot in 2020 because my life was burning to the ground, and not just from COVID. I took some time off blogging as well. It's just so easy to lose focus of where you started and the first love you had for something that felt so fundamental.

    It looks like there will be new topics and growth, and I'm excited to see that! I'll be praying for you as you start this new season. Thank you for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! 2020 was a big struggle for sure. It was a hard year for so many reasons and I'm so happy to finally be out of the blogging rut. Time off is definitely a treasure.

      Thank you so much that's very appreciated 😭😭 Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of having four pillars. I should try to figure that out for my own blog. I struggle a lot with producing any kind of consistent content. Best of luck with this new system. I hope 2021 is better for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've struggled so much and I feel so confident about this new change. I'm hoping to stay inspired and be able to give more content. So *crosses fingers* we'll see how that goes haha.

      Thank you! I hope your 2021 is amazing too!!

      Delete
  3. The idea of the four pillars is such a good one, and I'll definitely have to implement those into my own blog! I love your four pillars, personally, and I can't wait to see the new changes you're planning. :D

    But I hope 2021 goes better for you on all fronts, not just blogging! Praying for you <3

    (and ahhhh, yes, the days when Abbie blogged weekly instead of posted YouTube videos weekly . . . man, that feels like forever ago XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so far its been helpful! Awww thank you!!

      Thank you so much, that means so much to me <3

      haha yes. Her videos are amazing though!!

      Delete
  4. whoa this just brought such a dose of nostalgia. the good old days when we were young and free and excited and wide eyed with wonder. now we're old granny's xD I relate on multiple levels dude. mostly on losing excitement. but also I'm so sorry you had to go thru relationship break ups and stuffs :((

    now I'm sad. but also happy you are still here on the blogosphere.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right?! I feel that deeply xD Awww :(( it's okay. It gets better slowly.

      thank you, fren <3333

      Delete
  5. AHHHHHHH I'M SO EXCITEMENT!!!!! *screaming* Your pillars are AMAZING and I can't wait to see where you go from here. I hope it helps this blog feel so much more like home for you <3

    And hush, I am a mediocre blogger at best xD

    Love you boo <3 You got this <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAAAHHHHHHCCCKKKK!!!! *screams with you* THANK YOU!!! Thanks for helping me figure them out, haha. ;)

      No you're not you're AMAZING!!

      Love you more!! <3

      Delete
  6. Ah, Brooke! I hope you find the system that makes you bloom and flourish! We're all waiting, believing!!!


    MB> keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB> thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much Keturah that means so much to me <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  7. I rlly love you, Brookie. You're doing such a good job, I'm so proud of you. 💕💕

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited for this system! I can't wait to see the new future of this blog! The four pillars sounds like a brilliant idea. I should consider it if I get unhappy with the randomness I am doing now. I hope that you will find home here. <3

    Oh, man, I understand the whole ex-friend stuff. I also have mutual friends with this person, and it was honestly one of the hardest things to tell these friends that we are not friends anymore. I kept it to myself for a long time, feeling bad for being hurt and rejected by this person who is clearly still their friend. :'( I also got Instagram two days ago and I was looking through some of my friend's posts, and there was that person, making a comment. And it hurt seeing that person there, even though I felt like I had recovered from the pain a long time ago. Healing for sure doesn't come easy or quickly. But I know it will come. Cause even though it still hurt, but it didn't stay for long and the pain is getting easy to overcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the four pillars keep me organized, but randomness is fun for sure! I'm sure I'll branch off the four pillars every once in a while haha. Thank you!!!

      Oh wow. Sounds very similar to my experience. It's hard because it's like you want to move on, yet they keep popping up places. If it ever overwhelms you, don't feel bad about blocking this person, especially if they were mean to you. I understand entirely. <3 I saw you made an instagram!!! idk if I followed yet but I definitely will!! <33333 (I'm trying to cut back how much I get on haha.)

      I'm glad healing has come easier every time it comes up. I pray it keeps coming easier and easier for you <3 <3 <3

      Delete
    2. Sounds good! Randomness I find is good when being organised is too rigid and you just need to have fun. :D

      Oh, for sure! I don't know about you, but I knew this person in real life and so I also have been in situations when people mention or talk about this person in real life as well. Those moments were HARD. :( I never felt the need to since this person has never said a word to me for years. They completely ignored me and that was when I realised that they didn't want to be friends anymore. In a way, it was easier but it was also harder. But if the need ever arises, I will do it and try not to feel bad. :)

      Thanks for the follow!!! <33333 (I totally understand. Instagram is a hole, very easy for someone to waste hours on it. Hopefully I'm starting a good habit by going on it briefly a few times a day. We will see if it actually helpful and doesn't make me overwhelmed.)

      Aww, thank you so much. I will pray for you too. <3 <3 <3 <3

      Delete
    3. definitely. We all need a good dose of randomness :D

      I didn't know the person in real life, which is probably a good thing, but it had been a longer friendship. But, I did what I could to try and make things work and be a good friend and sometimes people are just unhealthy for you and you have to make a hard decision to cut the ties. It can be hard, for sure. And I'm still trying to get over things that were said to and about me but I'm praying for healing and that's all I can do. <3 <3 But yeah, blocking is a good thing to do, even for some creepy accounts that have tried to follow me recently, I don't even risk it, haha xD

      OF COURSE!! I loved your first picture on there! Black and whites are AMAZING!! it is a very deep hole but I'm hoping to cut back more and more. I get kind of addicted usually when I'm anxious and need to fiddle with my hands haha.

      Thank you!! <3 <3 <3 <3

      Delete
    4. Oof, the long ones are the hardest to see to fall apart. But I can see you did your best for things to work out and that's the main thing. And, yeah, in the end it is the best that you end the relationship, especially when you are experiencing a lot of hurt. Yes, praying is all we can, but strangely doing this simple act of praying and praying is so healing. God does listen. :D Oh, my, definitely, especially with those creepy accounts. XD

      Thank you! Really? Aww, thanks. I don't think it is the best picture I took, but the black and white look does make it pretty good. ^_^ I hope you find your balance and don't get sucked into the hole anymore. Ah, that makes sense. That would be a good distraction from that.

      My pleasure! ^_^ <3 <3 <3 <3

      Delete
    5. yeah, but sometimes it is for the best. And definitely, prayer is the most healing thing <3 <3 <3

      yes!! it's a very lovely picture! <3 <3 Yeah, I'm doing my best not to fall into that hole anymore but it's definitely a struggle haha

      <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  9. i love the four pillars idea!! i might have to implement that as well, cause i am s t r u g g l i n g.... i hope 2021 is better for all of us <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dude I 10000% get it. I was honestly considering pulling the plug for good when I suddenly had all these ideas and decided to categorize them (a foreign concept to my INFP brain haha XD)

      I hope so too <3

      Delete
  10. Rooting for you, old friend! I know you'll find your voice and it will be powerful 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so so much 😭😭😭 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh I LOVE Abbie's 4 pillars of blogging content!! I used to use that method ultra faithfully, but sadly I'm unable to post that way during the school semester. This is such an exciting post and I'm THRILLED to see what's coming next for your blog. Everything you produce is amazing, trust me. Love you, girl. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yessss the pillars are very helpful! I get that <3 <3 aww thank you!! love you!!

      Delete