My Struggle With Mental Health// The Truth

by - 7:00 AM



I'm not going to tell you this post will be a quick read or a cure for all your problems. This post is going to be a story of how I went from depressed, anxious, and basically acting like a crazy person to being calm, rational, and stable.

Let me start at the beginning.

The first time I remember being depressed was fourteen. I can't say I really know why. My family life, not to brag, is great. My life is great. I am blessed.

But, I remember my emotions being like a rollercoaster, and sometimes I'd be fine. As I got older (16-17) things were a bit tough concerning my mental health. I was depressed, my anxiety was at an all-time high, panic attacks would rob me from sleep at 3 A.M... it wasn't good.

At 17, I told God to take this depression and anxiety away. I told Him He can have it, I don't want to be this way anymore. I feel like that is the moment I truly experienced a miracle from Jesus. He is the reason I am here today.

I wish I could say my story with my mental health ends there, but... it doesn't. In fact, in some ways, it gets worse.

I am now 20. And I am just now finally pulling my mental health together. My depression came back, haunting me. Anxiety found new ways to torment me. And my mood went from calm to raging in not even a second.

September 28th, 2019 was the low point of all of this. I was at my worst. I was raging, crying, yelling, then I'd be fine. Then it would start over, like a cycle that kept repeating itself, a broken record that could only repeat over, and over, and over.

In these times, I didn't treat my family with the kindness or patience they deserve. For that, I'm sorry.

It has never been my parents who didn't want to take me to a therapist. In fact, my mom's suggested it many times. I've turned it down every time. I'm one of those people who don't really trust doctors. Yes I know, you're going to say, "Brooke, doctors know what they're doing. How could you know more than a doctor?"

I'm not saying I do. I'm saying I know my body and I would rather try natural methods of healing rather than putting some chemical medicine in my body. This is why I'm coming here today, over a week later, to tell you what has worked for me to stabilize my mood and hormones.

So, after that Saturday, my mom began research on everything I have been experiencing. Besides mental health, I've been dealing with hormonal cystic acne.

Hormonal cystic acne is different in that cystic acne forms giant, painful pimples that usually don't have heads or they do, but they're deep and red and painful. Hormonal acne comes on your chin and cheeks. Mine was all the above.

Besides that obvious sigh, I was depressed, anxious, and as I said, raging and crying, then I'd be fine.

This is not okay.

My mom felt like there were things going on in my gut. Your gut controls a LOT of your body, including your hormones and the release of the happy hormone. As she did more research, we decided to clean up our diets and begin taking a probiotic.

In less than a week, my whole life has been transformed. I feel so content and joyful. I still have bad days, but they're normal bad days. They don't involve me raging. I was even getting to the point of nearly breaking down at work. Now I can brush things off and move on with my life.

Customers still get me mad sometimes, but in five minutes, I'm fine. Before, I would hold on to that anger the entire day and even into the entire week!

This is not normal. I was not okay.

But I'm getting better every day and it's amazing!

So I want to encourage you to get the help you need. I'm not saying stop taking medicines that help you. NOPE, don't do that okay? I'm saying if you feel something is wrong, never be afraid to research the crap out of it. And I'm not a doctor, so if you feel like you need to see a doctor, go for it. I'm not saying doctors are bad. I've had bad experiences, so that's just a personal thing for me.

In case anyone is curious about the probiotic I use right now, it's from a brand called Spring Valley.

Image result for spring valley probiotic

I take three after dinner every evening. I crush them up one at a time, then swallow them with water because I struggle with swallowing pills and tablets like these. But, others don't struggle with it at all. 

I also have cleaned up my diet a bit more, though I can't say I've been perfect. Sometimes, you gotta treat yo' self. (I am trying to cut back on sweets to only once or maybe twice a week. Usually weekends.)

This has helped me have a positive mindset and feel better. I can't wait to see how I feel after a full month. 

So that's it. That is my story. And yep, it's not all hearts and rainbows. 

Have you gone through
something similar?
Have any questions 
for me?
Let me know in 
the comments below!

Keep chasing those dragonflies and I'll see you later <3

~Brooke



You May Also Like

21 comments

  1. <3 <3 I'm so glad you're feeling better, boo. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many struggle with this, dear girl! It's wonderful you can share the truths, however deep & ugly they be. I don't know what I'd do without my family & the patience they exude with me---God is so good. Keep leaning on Him! Prayers to you, Brooke! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Your encouragment and support means a lot. God is amazing!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your honesty. This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making healthy choices is so important! I'm glad you're feeling better. <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diet can have so much to do with mental health. Kudos to your mom for sorting that out. I'm glad your feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really can, it's amazing! My mom is AMAZING. I love her so much for all that she's done and patience she has had with me, even when I was so beyond deserving it. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. <3 <3 <3 much love to you for sharing Brooke. i know from experience that its not easy to share mental health struggles. i actually have seen that probiotic before, we have the same brand. i did look at it but i also struggle with pill swallowing, so i never picked it up. Now i shall look into it :)

    Much love to you and praying for you always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. It is extremely difficult to be honest and upfront about my stuggles. This post gave me some anxiety in posting. But if I can help one person, it's all worth it. Yes, I struggle too. I crush the tablets with a spoon, scoop it up, toss it into my mouth and chug water. It tastes HORRIBLE but you get used to it and the results are worth it.

      Thank you so much, dear. <3

      Delete
  7. <333 Thanks, Brooke. :) I'm so glad this is working for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have dealt with a lot of mental health like this. I never thought about eating health so much. I normally eat well. I might just try the probiotic. I'm not into doctors either.
    Will be praying for you!

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The probiotic has been something of a lifesaver. Since taking it, I can definitely say my mental stability has been so much better. I still have bad days, but nothing compared to the way I was before. Before I couldn't even acknowledge that I had a problem. Now, I can say, yes, I'm having a bad day, and it's okay, we all do. And I just live with it and move on. I don't have breakdowns like before. It's amazing how what we put in our body can affect us so drastically.

      Thank you! <3 <3

      Delete
  9. I totally get not wanting to go to a doctor and fixing the problem, not bandaging it with medicines. What you eat and how active you are soooo helps with mental health. I don't always eat as good as I should, but I have been doing better getting more fresh air and exercise. I think I've heard of those probiotics, too! Good luck, and hope the rest of this month goes well.

    MB> keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB> thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss. When I told people at work what I was doing, they didn't understand why I wanted to take a more holistic approach to this. They didn't understand why I wouldn't go on birth control. (I'm not against birth control completely, but I do not want to take it for myself. I feel that is up to the individual person.)

      Yes, I'm trying to be more active. I recently hurt my neck, so most exercise has taken a backburner, but I'm hoping to get back into it this week. Thank you so much. This month has been great. <3

      Delete
  10. This post. <3333 Life is hard. Hormones are hard. Anxiety is a real, painful struggle. But God is so, SO good and I'm PRAISING Him for all He's done and doing in your life! Love you, girl. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Love you so much girl!!! <3 <3 God is good all the time.

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for this raw, beautiful post. I'm so glad you're feeling better darling! <3333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I am, thank you so much, dear. <3 <3 <3

      Delete