:: book review :: The Raven Boys

by - 6:00 AM




okay
okay
OKAY
EVERYONE STAY CALM
THIS BOOK
*screams into a pillow*

THIS FREAKING BOOK OH MY WORD

okay let me just dump my thoughts here for you of this amazing book that you definitely need in your life. It has everything perfect for an autumn read even though it's a book that takes place in April. 

Honestly, I don't know where to start with this book but I'll try to make this as orderly as I possibly can without too much screaming.

Characters:

The friendships in this book are vastly underrated. Seriously. If you've been looking for a book that highlights friendships without the pressure of romance READ THIS BOOK!! It's so underrated for that reason alone.

Gansey is probably one of the most INFJ characters I've ever read. He's got that battle of logic and emotion. He takes care of his friends even when they deserve to be left behind, and he doesn't let them go. He keeps pushing them harder and harder. He says things before really thinking them through, which leads to some hurt feelings and hard conversations. 

Blue is pretty amazing as well. Her determination and her wit is just so EPIC. doomed with a curse, she powers through and is such a strong character. 

Adam's story made me almost cry. I never cry reading books and I got super close to tears reading certain scenes with him. 

Ronan. My man. I had a crush on him at the beginning, not gonna lie, but that dwindled away slowly with a realization that he's not my type for a number of "reasons" haha but that's fine. He's very abrasive and there are moments I cringed when he talked but oh my word his heart is in there somewhere.

Noah. *screams* I just can't with this one. There are no words.

Plot:

The plot twists. The prose. 

Maggie Stiefvater, I don't know if you'll ever read this but your prose is just so stunning and I love how everything fits perfectly in your books. 

Ronan would come in and say things that made no sense to what was happening, yet it fit so seamlessly with his character. 

Declan can go die in a hole. 

Blue's family is also very fun to read. A fictional mom who's involved in her kid's life. THIS BOOK IS UNDERRATED!! FOR THIS VERY REASON!!

The plot was also epic. Usually such a plot would bore me but I was never bored with this book. Never. Bored. and that's a hard feat accomplish.

Needless to say I bought the rest of the series plus a few other Maggie Stiefvater books. 

Final rating:

FIVE FREAKING SHINING STARS!!

Content warning and TW:

Ronan cusses A LOT. It's really within his character. Besides him, there isn't much cussing honestly. Gansey doesn't seem to be a fan of cussing and neither are the others. Adam cusses a few times, but in very heated moments. 

Mentions of suicidal thoughts in non-detail for one character.

Some violent description of injury.

One character's parent is abusive and there is a scene of abuse happening. 


Tell me if y'all have read this book in the comments below!
Let's talk about all the non spoiler things!

stay amazing!
~brooke

You May Also Like

14 comments

  1. Replies
    1. This book is just... ACCCCKKKK I LOVE IT.

      I honestly didn't think I love it, but Maggie Stiefvater is slowly growing to be one of my favorite authors oh my word.

      <3

      Delete
  2. AAAAAAA I NEED TO READ THIS! Also i have heard about Ronan so i know why he's not your type cause 'reasons' and it made me giggle a bit when you were talking about him. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha yes my little inside joke >:)

      okay but it's not even confirmed in this book, I could just tell and at first I was like ooooh hot bad boy (I don't like the bad boys in real life, just in books, I swear 😂) but then later I was like nope 🙃

      Delete
  3. This BOOOOOOOOOOOOK *sobs* *loudly* *forever*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sobs with you, loudly, and forever*

      100000/10 appreciate you telling me to get this one. I'm addicted. <3

      Delete
  4. And suddenly I'm gripped by the urge to reread ... MAGGIE THOOO SHE'S SO AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOSH YESSS. I bought a lot of her books just because I love this one. I bought the rest of the series, I bought The Scorpio Races, and I bought All the Crooked Saints. I have a problem xD

      Delete
  5. YESSSSSS. love this series so much 😍😍. maggie stiefvater is INCREDIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHE ISSSS!!! I love it so much. Currently reading book two and I AM LOVING IT!!

      Delete
  6. Ahhh, I really need to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such a good book! I'm glad you liked it, gets five stars from me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I loved it so so much. I am so happy I read it! <3

      Delete