:: october 2020 ::

by - 6:00 AM

in my mind, endless sea, calling from the bottom but you don't hear me//starset 

i don't know where you're going, but do you got room for one more troubled soul// fob

i'm coming, wait for me, I hear the walls repeating the falling of our feet, sounds like drumming// hadestown

I don't quite know, how to say, how I feel, those three words, are said too much, they're not enough// snow patrol

you're out of my hands, I'm out of my head, try to be cool, but you know me the best// shy martin

and when I fall apart, promise in the dark you'll be my nightlight// illenium

they say we are who we are, but we don't have to be, I'm bad behavior but I do it in the best way// fob

and the world is cold, but its beautiful// starset

she's singing "baby come home" in a melody of tears while the rhythm of the rain keeps time// fob

cross my heart and hope to die, I'll see you with your laughter lines// bastille

cause in a sky, in a sky full of stars, I think I see you// coldplay

it's like I knew right when I found you, I found something I couldn't lose// srvcina

if you go to war, then I'm going with you, pick up my sword there's nothing I won't do// neoni

and there isn't a fire , that I wouldn't walk through, my army of one is gonna fight for you// coldplay

I push you away, still you won't let go, you grow your roses on my barren soul// needtobreathe

- The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Peeps. This book. Is underrated. OH MY WORD. I didn't think I'd love it but I LOVE IT. The friendships are underrated, the lack of crazy romance is underrated, the whole theme is underrated, the prose is underrated like MAGGIE STIEFVATER!!! KEEP. WRITING. BOOKS. PLEASE!

Not gonna lie, I just bought a bunch of her books because I just LOVE IT SO MUCH!!

*cue me screaming to bestie all the updates as she watches in amusement since she knows everything about the series*

Faith: are they in the helicopter yet?
Me: wut 0_0
Faith: nothing, sweet child, nothing
working on a novel I'm writing just for myself at the time being. I don't know if I'll ever announce it, or publish it. It's more a project of my anxiety and loneliness poured into a book for me. Maybe someday it will be something bigger. But I think writers have lost the art of writing something for themselves. And I don't mean don't show anyone. I show my best friend every piece of writing. Even the bad pieces, haha. *glances at the one Christmas AU* But its still something of a lost art. Writing with no or little intent to publish. 

Also editing United We Fall but it's taking a bit of motivation for that. I want to have it ready by late summer/early fall of 2021 so stay tuned for that.  I think it'll be ready by then. In the meantime, if you're wondering what United We Fall even is, you should check out my debut novel, How We Rise. It's dystopian, but also contemporary and not like anything you've ever read. (is that a common saying? yes it is, but this is different from anything I've read, so I'm hoping that will ring true for you, too!)
My best friend, partner in crime, critique partner, and my inspiration wrote a post about writing romance based off the musical Hadestown, which is something she forced me to listen to and I ended up loving. Go read her post!

Skye Hoffert posted some fall musings that are super aesthetic. I totally want to make a scented mixture now of apples and cinnamon and oranges to make my house smell like fall. (Even if it's still summertime heat here haha)

Allison Riera rejoined the blogosphere to share some things about college and her experience. And while I'm not a college student, I found this post very fun to read and to hear about a fellow blogger's experience.

I did a collab last week, which you may have read, with S.J. Barnard. I just recently discovered her blog, but it's quite amazing. Her post can be find on my blog, and if you're interested in character playlists, my post can be found on her blog.

have a happy halloween

stay amazing!
~ brooke



You May Also Like

16 comments

  1. THE RAVEN BOYS' PROSE THOUGH *dies* I can't wait to see what you think of the rest of the series!! :D

    Ooo, best of luck editing United We Fall! And I definitely agree that that writing without intent to publish is a lost art. *takes note of that*

    I hope you have an amazing November, Brooke! <3 <3 <3
    (also, the aesthetics and song lyrics in this post are SPOT-ON :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DUDE YES. OH MY WORD. I'M OVER HERE NEAR THE END OF THE BOOK NOW AND LIKE AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *screams forever*

      Thank you!! And yesss it really is. I'm enjoying it a lot.

      Aww thanks, girl! I hope November is amazing for you!! <3 <3 <3
      (thanks, haha)

      Delete
  2. THE RAVEN BOYSSS. so happy you're enjoying it!! it's one of my all-time favorite series. i'm currently re-reading it (for the 5th? time lol).

    aw thank you so much for linking my post! ♥️

    love this post! (also YES hadestown! started re-listening to it last night while writing flashcards and oh my gosh, i forgot how amazing it is 😍).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS oh my gosh this book I am just *screams* I LOVE IT!!

      you're welcome!! <3

      YESSSSS YESSS YESSSS I love it so much.

      Delete
  3. AGGGHHHH HAS NOT WRITTEN POST YETTTTTTT

    I loves The Raven Boys and I'm so glad you do too <3

    UWF is my favorite book of 2020 just in case you forgot <3

    Lovely post boo <3333333 love you so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAAGGGHHHH HURRY UPS I NEED THAT SPECIFIC POST WE TALKED ABOUT PLEASEEE

      yesss yesss yess <3 <3 you have corrupted me into liking all the things and I am not mad about it. ;)

      booooo *sobbing* I love you

      You're wonderful. I love you more <3 <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  4. Fantastic song choices!

    The Raven Boys is sooo good, one of my all time favorites.

    I love the idea of writing a novel just for yourself. That way there's no pressure.
    Thanks for the shoutout! If it ever cools down where you are, you definitely need to make cider. XD






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! music is one of my favorite things!

      Yessss oh my gosh this book is killing me and I love it

      It's a very nice, no pressure feeling to get back into writing for the real, raw love of it. I have no doubt one day I'll want to publish the thing, but it's not a rush of getting a book ready. It's just me and the words and I love it.

      YOU'RE WELCOME!! I loved that post so much! Yess I do. or if it can just cool down here that would be nice because it is currently very hot outside xD

      Delete
  5. Oop looks like i'm gonna have to read the Raven Boys now. Also the entire aesthetic of this post makes me feel things :) <3<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ IT OH MY WORD I LOVE IT *screams*

      awwww thank you so much!! I love these types of posts ngl <3

      Delete
  6. I think it can be both harder to write something for oneself and easier. Hope you have a lovely fall!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I actually just read The Scorpio Races, which I believe is the same author as The Raven Boys? I loved TSR, and it was sooooo beautifully written!

    I kinda dislike fall (mostly because it means winter is coming and I gotta pay money for hay....), but I do love the colors and the sweaters and and the apple cider. :)

    Also, writing a novel for yourself is the best thing ever!! Like, it doesn't matter if no one ever reads it, but it's so relaxing to just write whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS!! I bought that one too, as well as All the Crooked Saints because I just LOVE her writing!!

      I understand. The sweaters are a nice bonus though xD

      Yesss it's very nice. I enjoy it very much!

      Delete
  8. I really should get my hands on the Raven Boys. I've read quite a few blog posts/mentions in blog posts that say that they are amazing. And I keep thinking to myself, "I should read it some day." I am again convinced to read them. :)
    Was one of the song lines from Immortals by Fall Out Boy?
    You're doing a sequel to How We Rise? That's so exciting. I really want to get my hands on How We Rise. It does sound unique and awesome (I love dystopians <3).
    I think it is great that you're writing a book for yourself. That's important for a writer. I don't really appreciate that for myself, cause I want to publish everything! Except for my short stories, which I guess is a form of writing for myself (even though they are just prequels to the novels I want to publish XD).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the first book so much and am currently reading the second book in the raven boy series and it's SO GOOD too!!

      Yessss I love fall out boy!!

      It is very important for a writer to write for themselves too, yessss

      Delete