:: reminders for writers during november ::

by - 6:00 AM

 


If you're an avid writer, you may have heard of something called NaNoWriMo or Nation Novel Writer's Month. This year, this is also a Non-Nano, which from what I understand is similar to NaNo but not affiliated with the actual NaNoWriMo website. 

I did NaNoWriMo once. Last year. I wrote the entirety of book two of the How We Rise trilogy, which I am currently editing. 

So I am not participating in either NaNo or Non-Nano. 

But I am editing, which is also very serious work. And I'm also working on a few other novels that I have yet to mention. I won't be announcing anything on those quite yet, but as a writer, I know there are a few things we need to remember when we're in that writing (or editing) groove. 

#1: Don't skip out on your hygiene. 

It can be very tempting to skip your shower so you can pound out those words before you climb into bed or before you go to work (depending if you take showers at night or in the morning.) BUT, showers are honestly very refreshing and helpful to your process. 

Sometimes you may be so into the writing that you just want to keep going and skip the things you need to do, such as shower, but taking the time to get away from the screen can be so beneficial to your overall writing process. 

#2: Take enough breaks.

Breaks are a must. I know a lot of people think they have to get as many words in as fast as they can with no rest stops along the way. It's just not true. Breaks are a part of good mental well being. You may be thinking, "What does mental well being have to do with writing."

Everything. 

I know it's tempting to write for hours on end, and I'm not saying that's bad. But don't do it all the time. Have breaks. Get some fresh are. Walk around the house. Clean a few things. The book will still be there when you come back. If you burn out too quick, you won't have any words being put on the page. Taking just five minutes every 25 minutes (the Pomodoro affect) is going to be super helpful.

#3: Stay hydrated and fuel your body.

I know my best friend is probably laughing as she yells at me to drink water as I write this, because I am the QUEEN of dehydration. 

BUT, don't follow my footsteps. Don't almost pass out at work from dehydration. Just drink water. Have a water bottle you take everywhere and fill it up every time you finish drinking.  (I'm really stealing what bestie told me because she was yelling at me about my water intake. So thank you, Faith, for that helpful tip. 😏😏)

Also don't skip meals. I am also the queen of that. Don't do that. BASICALLY, don't do what I do. Take care of your body!!

#4: Remember why you're doing this.

It's easy to get lost in the rush of competition and trying to write 50K in a month. And I'm not going to say it's impossible to do. But be proud of whatever you accomplish because it still brings you closer to your initial goal. 

Writing is a joy and if you're aren't doing it because you love it, you might want to rethink your purpose. Remember why you started. You have a story to tell. You have something to offer to the world in your words. That's a HUGE power and a wonderful gift. We can influence so much with our words.

We are the new writing generation. One day, some of us will be immortalized by our books. Some day, our books will be considered classics. What type of book do you want the future reading from our generation?

Remember your goal. Remember your purpose. And don't be afraid to take time to figure out what that might be.
That's all I have for you today. I hope this inspired you as you gear up for NaNoWriMo or any Non-NaNo activities. I personally will probably never do neither of those again. While my first and last NaNo in 2019 was a wonderful experience, I know I like going at my own pace. Challenges can be fun, and I will definitely take up other challeneges.

But tell me in the comments what you're doing. 
What is your w.i.p for November?
What are your goals?
Let me know!

Stay Amazing!
~ brooke


You May Also Like

14 comments

  1. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will keep me away from my shower. It's the only time I am actually warm during the winter months. *cries* But brushing my teeth?? Nah, let's get some writing done instead, lol

    But this is a great reminder as I had into NaNo. Word count is great, but personal health is more important. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DUDE SAME ABOUT THE WARMTH!! Its not even that cold here yet and I am FREEZING all the time.

      Yes, I'm glad there was something you could take away from this! <3

      Delete
  2. This is SO BEAUTIFUL <3 Thank you for this reminder. You know how much I need it (Just as a college student lolzzzz)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 <3 <3 Thank you boo!

      (-_- yes you DO need these reminders) <3

      Delete
  3. I feel this post so hard and I'm not even doing NaNo😂🙈

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really good tips. Short and simple to become a more healthy writer. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i feel extremely called out with the not drinking water..... I constantly dehydrate myself oop-

    i'm kinda doing NaNo??? Or at least i'm trying to..

    I hope editing goes well!!<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same tho

      yeaaaah I wrote this and then I made my own goals for november so I'm doing my own NaNo. Not 50k words, but xD

      thank you!!! <3

      Delete
  6. your blog header graphic thoooooo <333

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not doing Nano either, but great tips!

    ReplyDelete