:: breathe ::

by - 8:00 AM




Dark

Bending, twisting, running

It’s cold, but the chill barely touches me now

My heart thumps wildly in my chest

I feel the darkness seeping around me

The water rises above my head, taking the oxygen with it

Darker

Sinking

Faster

Deeper

I grasp for something, anything to pull me up

I only touch more water, more air

Suffocating

My vision becomes dark

My heart begins to slow

In a futile attempt to breathe, I choke on water

Cough

Gasp

Breathless

Sinking further

On the edge of death

I feel a hand pull my arm

I feel arms around my waist

I feel light as I break the surface

Cough

Sputter

Choke

I gasp for air

Trying to just

B r e a t h e

The oxygen is sweet to my lungs

My eyes flutter

My heart begins to beat again

Light is all I feel

Light is all I see

And all at once

I

Can

B r e a t h e



You May Also Like

24 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! That means a lot. It came from the heart. <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  2. AAAAAH i love your writing so much!!!! <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, thank you. But girl your poems... 😍😍😍😍

      Delete
  3. <3 <3 <3 this was amazing!! Your poetry style is simple but so so emotional at the same time :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that's become my writing style in general, simple, yet emotional. Haha, so glad you liked it. <3 <3

      Delete
  4. I’m in love with this poem. I’m bookmarking it so I can always have it with me<3<3<3

    ALSO WHAT PLATFORM/APP DO YOU USE TO MAKE YOUR GRAPHICS??? I MUST KNOW😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much!!!

      So, I do use Pinterest, Unsplash, Pixabay, and Pexels for the images. To design them, I use Canva, the free version. It's amazing. There are also some free images on canva, but I like to upload my own most times. <3 <3 <3

      Delete
    2. Ah, see I use Canva too, but you seem to have different templates. 🤔 I’ll have to scroll through the different options and see if I can find yours cause I’m IN LOVE with them. 💕💕

      Delete
    3. Haha, yeah the ones I use are a bit hidden, but I've been using them forever that I forgot they're slightly further down. I go to grids and scroll. The ones I use have 3 or 4 boxes typically, so they do have them organized by number of boxes so if you look at all the ones with 3 it should be easy to find after some practice. <3 <3 Good luck!

      Delete
    4. Ooh, thanks for the tip! 💕💕

      Delete
  5. i'm in love with your poetry style, Brooke!! this was such a beautiful message and your words are stunning. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. This poem is stunning - I love the imagery and visually, it's just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. The heart behind your words is so obvious and it's beautiful. <3

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3 This poem came in more of a rush of words, like a watefall filled with emotion. <3

      Delete