Short Story//Broken Memories

by - 7:00 AM



Yes, I know that snippets and aesthetics won out over a short story on my Instagram poll, BUT...

I couldn't get the aesthetics ready in time, and I want that post to be PERFECTION for you. So, for now, you get a short story that will most likely be a novel at some point because I can't seem to just write a short story.

I introduce you to my Backburner W.I.P// Broken Memories.

***

The lights flash as the music vibrates the floor. I stand in the back corner. My heart beats hard
as I feel the rush of tears falling down my face. I keep my eyes on my black converse. I turn away
from everything and push my way through the crowd, finding myself in the backyard of the house.
The music is still clear out here, but at least it’s not so overwhelming. I walk further into the yard,
towards the woods that are behind Holland McGregor’s house. 

     The jerk.
     I breathe in the clean, night air. I lean my back against one of the big oak trees and close my eyes.

     “This party sucks, right?”

     My eyes fly open at the deep voice. Standing near me is Milo Gray. He leans up against the other
tree, his eyes on the stars above us. 
     I quickly wipe at my face, but he says, “I saw the tears. You don’t have to hide them from me,
Evie.”

     Evie. 
     The last person to call me that was… Holland. Just the thought brings a new wave of tears. I
thought I could trust him. Joke’s on me.

     I catch Milo’s eyes on me, but I don’t have the courage to meet them. 
     “Who hurt you?”

     I grunt. “That’s a complex question.”

     “I have time.”

     I shake my head. “It doesn’t matter anymore. I’d rather not think about it.”

     He’s silent for a long while, contemplating. Then, “Okay. Fine with me.”

     Milo leans his back against the tree again and closes his eyes. “You know, I almost didn’t come to
this party, but my friend told me we could crash the party. Then he found some girl and left me
behind.”

     I glance at him while he doesn’t pay attention. His brown hair is messy. His leather jacket is dark,
like most of his clothes. And with his eyes closed, he looks peaceful. But when his electric blue eyes
open, I see pain. I see hurt. I see myself in some twisted way. 

     I sigh, looking to the grass. I inhale, doubting the words as they near my lips, exhale as the
confession leaves me and ventures into the open. “Holland invited me as his date, but I found him
kissing some other girl in our class.”

     “That sucks.”

     I don’t know why, but I laugh. And so does Milo. And it’s a beautiful sound. 

     “Yeah, it does suck.”

     “You deserve better than that. Holland’s a jerk, anyway.”

     I nod. “I thought he liked me because I’m different. But he’s just like the rest of them.”

    Milo is silent for a moment, but he takes a small step towards me. Then another. Until we are no
more than a few inches apart. 

     “He is. He is the epitome of what I despise. It’s f-boys like him that make me not want to wear
white t-shirts because only f-boys wear white t-shirts.”

     “You’d probably look good in them,” I say, the words falling from my lips before I can stop them.
I feel my cheeks go red.

     Thankfully, Milo just chuckles as his eyes meet mine. “Well, darling, I could have told you that
myself, but I have to say it sounds better coming from you.”

     The blush before was nothing compared to now. I catch the reflection of the stars in his eyes
before I feel his lips on mine. Instinctively my eyes shut. And for a moment, I’m not a mess. I’m just
me. And he’s just Milo. 

***


Other Short Stories



     

You May Also Like

16 comments

  1. Such an intriguing short! I'm so very interested in both Evie & Milo (LOVE THE NAME, btw). But for some reason, & it could be my end, I couldn't read the entire thing. It seems like the coding or something is broken as the words keep going to the far right---way past the post borders---before disappearing. Hope no one else has this problem! I wanted to read the whole thing instead of just the gist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. I fixed it! Mistakes were made on my end. I hope you are able to see it now. <3

      Delete
  2. Just a quick note for everyone from Brooke: She knows the coding is off, but she's at work right now. As soon as she gets home, she'll fix the problem. <3 (P.S. I read this story and it's GREAT so I hope you guys come back and read it once it's fixed later today ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This kiddies is why we preview our posts before actually publishing them. Thanks you, Faith, for relaying the message for me. <3 <3 <3 <3 (SHE'S THE BESTEST PERSON EVER GO TO HER BLOG PEOPLE, HER STORIES ARE INCREDIBLE. AND HER LAST POST? AMAZING GOOO TO HER BLOG RIGHT NOW, JUST CLICK HER FACE AND YOU'LL FIND HER BLOG.)

      Everything should be fixed now. Just comment if it's still wonky anywhere else, friends. <3

      Delete
    2. Darling, it's still wonky for me. It's okay if it's just me but idk if it is ???

      Delete
    3. Idk if it's bc you reposted this recently or something? At least I assume you did cos there was a flood of your old posts in my feed haha

      Delete
  3. That is a super cool snippet!!!
    I'm glad you managed to fix the problem - because it worked for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!

      Yes, my bestie texted me when I was at work and I was like OF COURSE IT WOULD DO THAT NOW. xD

      Delete
  4. Oh, your writing is always so intriguing and beautiful, Brooke!! This snippet left me wanting to know more <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wELLLLL, There will be more from them soooooon :D

      Delete
  5. OH MY GOSH. I'M ALWAYS EXCITED WHEN I SEE YOU POSTED A NEW STORY BUT THIS ONE IS MY FAVORITE! I LOVE THIS LINE:
    "He leans up against the other tree, his eyes on the stars above us."
    And the one where she's like, "Its a complex question" and hiS REPLY!
    AND THE WHOLE THING ABOUT NOT WEARING WHITE SHIRTS? AND HER SAYING SHE THINKS HE'D LOOK GOOD IN THEM???? EEP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow my heart *sobs* I'm so glad you like it. You'll be seeing more snippets from them sooooon

      Delete
  6. AGGHHHHH BROOKEEEE!! I love thisss! All the emotion behind it, and I love how nonchalant Milo seems as a contrast to Evie, and yet they both care and this is just BEAUTIFUL. <333

    AWESOMENESS. This is fact. Awesomeness.

    ~ Snapper

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no words... THIS IS AMAZING!!!! i especially loved the line "But when his electric blue eyes open, i see pain. I see hurt. I see myself in some twisted way." i just.. wow. You're such an amazing writer <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I HAVE SOME NEW FAVORITE KIDS!!!!

    This is amazing and I love it so much *sobs* Please write moreeeee

    ReplyDelete